If you are looking for the perfect marriage between Chocolate and coconut and pie, you have come to the right place. This rich and decadent Chocolate coconut cream pie is filled with a light old-fashioned chocolate coconut custard pudding inside a light and flaky pastry. Then crowned in homemade whipped topping sprinkled with pan toasted coconut shreds. An instant crowd pleaser for any chocolate and coconut fan.
This recipe originally published Feb 27, 2014. It has been updated with Dairy Free Alternative suggestions, new images, and helpful tips to make your Chocolate Coconut cream pie baking experience better than ever.
Did you know that National Pi day is coming? No, I’m not joking! There is a National Pi Day on March 14th. So when you hear Pi day, doesn’t that make you think of your favorite slice of pie?
Sure I know National Pi Day is all about celebrating Mathematics. But I was always told that baking is a form of math. You have to convert measurements. And calculate an outcome. And most of the time, you need precise measurements to achieve a positive result.
Oh, come on. I’m so going to make this work. Because seriously everything is better with a slice of pie. And wouldn’t you just love a great excuse to indulge in your favorite pie?
We have so many fun pie recipes in our home! For sweet but tart fans we have my classic favorite Strawberry Rhubarb Pie or maybe you are more of an Easy Key Lime pie person? For those that prefer sweet and fruity, we have a fresh Peach Pie with cinnamon crust, which is perfect for the peach season.
We even have Mini Salted Caramel Apple Pies which are a huge favorite of the family.
But my absolute favorite is Coconut Cream Pie. But the husband loves Chocolate cream pie. And then it hit me… chocolate and coconut go together so well! Why not make a Chocolate Coconut Cream pie?
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
Yield 12 slices
This easy decadent chocolate coconut cream pie recipe is bound to be the best instant crowd pleaser you ever tasted! Including complete Dairy-Free recipe alterations.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 Almond Coconut milk (or any milk flavor of your choice)
- 1 1/2 cup scalded Almond Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan sift sugar, starch, and salt.
- Add egg yolks and 1/2 cup milk of choice.
- Begin heating on low heat
- Add 1 1/2 cup scalded milk. (Milk doesn't need to be scaled necessarily just hot. I heated mine in the microwave for 1-2 minutes).
- Add chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and coconut extract.
- Stir and continue to cook on medium heat until pudding consistency.
- Don't overcook or pie will be too thick in texture.
- Remove from heat as soon as it begins to come close to pudding consistency
- Add butter and vanilla extract and stir until butter is melted.
- Fill the pre-cooked pie shell.
- Cover with plastic wrap and cool in the fridge several hours or overnight until completely cooled and set.
- Top with whipped topping
- Sprinkle with Shredded chocolate and toasted coconut
- Serve and enjoy!
- For complete dairy-free version, replace all butter with your choice of Ghee, cold coconut oil, or Crisco.
- Crisco works great as a butter substitute in the pastry shell.
- For a dairy-free whipped topping substitute, use coconut whipped cream.
Most people think that “From Scratch” means that there is a lot of work involved. Thankfully this Chocolate Coconut Cream pie recipe is fairly easy. The part that takes the longest is merely waiting for the custard filling to set up.
And when you make each piece of the chocolate coconut cream pie from scratch, it truly makes it completely worth every effort you put in.
First, make a shortcrust pastry pie shell, and allow it to cool.
Once the shell is mostly cooled, I then mix up the chocolate custard filling and fill the pie shell.
Cover the pie with saran wrap and allow to set up in the fridge for several hours, or overnight.
Once the custard is completely cool, you can move onto the finishing touches.
You can definitely “cheat” and use cool whip. But honestly homemade whipped topping makes this pie really shine! And it’s fairly quite simple to do. And it’s Oh so very worth it!
Smooth 2 cups homemade whipped topping across the top of the chocolate custard.
Sprinkle the top of the whipped topping with Toasted coconut and Chocolate Shavings.
And that is all there is to it.
Seriously can’t you see yourself indulging in a slice of this amazing chocolate coconut cream pie?
This chocolate coconut cream pie recipe has been enjoyed for Thanksgiving pies, Holiday desserts, Summer BBQ, fun potluck dinners, National Pi Day, and even just for fun. It is always the right time to enjoy this homemade Chocolate Coconut Cream pie!
Now, what if you can’t have dairy? Does that mean you can’t enjoy cream pie? Not at all!
Dairy Free options for Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
One great thing about this Chocolate Coconut Cream pie recipe is that is it really easy to adjust it to be completely dairy free!
The custard filling is already free of dairy, using Almond/Coconut milk instead of regular milk. We used to have to cut out dairy for our oldest because he was very sensitive to dairy.
Even after we were able to have dairy again, I found I actually prefer the custard pudding filling better with the Almond/Coconut milk. So I’ve always kept that part the same.
But for a completely dairy-free chocolate cream pie, you will also need to alter the shortcrust pastry and the whipped topping. If you want to stay with a traditional shortcrust pastry, simply substitute the butter for cold Ghee, cold coconut oil, or even Crisco. Or you can use my Grandma’s Perfect flaky pie crust recipe.
For the whipped topping, simply make our Coconut Whipped Cream. It is completely dairy free, paleo and vegan-friendly. Plus it’s a huge hit with the kids. And the flavor still blends well with the Chocolate coconut cream pie.
No matter if you make our dairy-free alternative or the classic Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie recipe, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser. I mean what is better than chocolate and coconut married into an indulgent pie?
Like our Homemade Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie recipe?
Be sure to Pin and Share this Chocolate Coconut Cream pie recipe with your friends and family!
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Best Handmade Christmas Gifts from Amazon Handmade Marketplace - December 6, 2018
- HOW TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY & ONLINE DATA - December 3, 2018
- Easy DIY Holiday Drink Station Soda Bar Tablescape - November 28, 2018