Coconut cream pie has always been one of my favorite pies! Right there with my mom’s Strawberry Rhubarb pie! That is until I created our Chocolate coconut cream pie a few years ago. Now it seems that is the one that is always requested. But sometimes I just crave the delicious coconut cream pie flavor. But don’t always have the time to make a pie. The next best option are these awesome coconut cream cupcakes!
These specialty cupcakes combine the wonder of the coconut cream pie in the convenience of a cupcake! These are the perfect single serving dessert. Plus they are a lot easier to transport and share than a pie.
Coconut Cream Cupcakes
Just think about all those upcoming Harvest or Thanksgiving parties at schools or work or with your friend or family! Instead of hauling a pie that requires plates, silverware and something to serve; try these coconut cream cupcakes!
You simply make these coconut cream cupcakes with three steps.
First step is to make the cupcakes!
- 2 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond
- 2 egg yolks, room temp
- 3/4 C vanilla almond milk
- 4 egg whites, room temp
- Preheat to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- -Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- - Beat butter and sugar on medium-high until smooth.
- -Add in vanilla and almond extract. Mix until combined. Add egg yolks, beating just until combined.
- -Now with the mixer on low add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk. Gently mixing after each addition. Repeat until all of the flour mixture and milk has been added. Mix one more time to make sure that all of the ingredients have been blended.
- -Whip the egg whites until medium peaks form in a separate bowl.
- -Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, making sure not deflate the egg whites.
- -Filling the lined cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- -Allow to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes then remove and place them on wire racks.
- -Using either a large spoon or a cupcake scoop make a hole in the middle of each cupcake. Leave enough cake on the bottom and sides of the cupcake.
After you have the cupcakes set up then you need to make the coconut filling. Make this recipe while the cupcakes are baking/cooling and put the filling in the refrigerator to chill.
- 1 large box of instant coconut pudding
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
-Using an electric mixer add all ingredients and mix until it has the consistency of a whipped cream.
-Place in refrigerator to cool until ready to add to the cupcakes.
-When the cupcakes are ready for the filling use a spoon and fill in the hole until it is equal to the top of the cupcake.
Lastly we frost and decorate the cupcakes!
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- shredded sweet coconut
Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then….
Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time…. mix well.
If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip.
Now twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip. Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
Add the shredded coconut to the frosted cupcakes. And now you are done!
You now have an amazing coconut cream cupcakes to wow your friends and family at your next family gathering!