As I’ve previously mentioned in my Comfort Food post, one of my weaknesses is popcorn! But not just any popcorn. I’m very particular, so I thought it was time I shared with you my favorite popcorn recipe! It’s very simple to make and once you try my popcorn recipe you won’t be able to go back to regular popcorn! What is my popcorn recipe secret? Making old fashioned pan cooked popcorn!
Old Fashioned Pan cooked Popcorn Recipe:
–2-3 Tablespoons oil (This is where you can achieve different flavors. I cook with nothing but Extra Virgin LIGHT tasting olive oil or coconut oil. I like the flavor, it’s healthier and just comes out lighter. Notice, I said LIGHT tasting Olive oil. hehe. Unless you really like the flavor of olive oil, you don’t want to use any other kind, it will be a strong flavor.) Coconut Oil also works amazing and leaves a very light flavor, and don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like coconuts.You do not need to spend the extra money on that “special” popcorn oil that is suppose to taste like butter…because
- It’s expensive and regular oil that you already have in your house works just fine and
- It doesn’t give any better flavor than regular oil! Trust me..I TRIED it out! It doesn’t taste like Movie theater popcorn, or give it any more butter flavor.
- It adds unwanted, unnatural ingredients to your popcorn
With the oil and popcorn in the pan, cover with the lid and put the stove temperature to high. DO NOT Go anywhere, it will heat up fast and you need to be here to prevent it from burning.I casually “shake” the pan back and forth on the burner…not heavy, and it’s not an up and down motion, but merely push it forward and pull it back while the pan is still in contact with the burner. Sometimes I go in circles too.
Once it starts to “POP” I “shake” a little faster, to ensure that nothing burns. Once the popping sounds slow down to 1-2 seconds between pops (just like with Microwave popcorn) remove it from the heat and pour into a bowl. Now Sprinkle with Salt (again, I may be a little weird but my favorite is Sea Salt. I just like the flavor better) shimmy the bowl a little to mix the salt around the popcorn and enjoy!
Our popcorn recipe is SUPER easy, and Fast, and it Tastes DELICIOUS!
What is your favorite oil for cooking popcorn?
- 1/2 cup popcorn Kernels
- 2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Sprinkle of Sea salt
- place oil and popcorn in large pot on High
- Cover with lid
- Shake the pan back and forth on the burner, merely push it forward and pull it back while the pan is still in contact with the burner.
- Once it starts to "POP" "shake" a little faster, to ensure that nothing burns.
- Once the popping sounds slow down to 1-2 seconds between pops remove it from the heat
- Pour into a bowl.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt