German Pancakes (aka Dutch Baby Pancake or pfannkuchen) is an easy, frugal, and delicious recipe for Breakfast or anytime, Baked in the oven or skillet, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
This oven German Pancake recipe originally published Feb 2012. It has been updated with new techniques and pictures for your convenience.
Best Easy German Pancakes
One of our favorite weekend breakfasts is German Pancakes! Commonly known as Dutch Baby
But no matter what you call them they are amazing!
To get an idea of what they are like before trying the recipe, they are similar to the traditional Yorkshire Pudding or American Popovers. But slightly different.
In Germany, you will often find them as Apfel pfannkuchen (Apple pancake), with apples baked right in. Which is delicious!
But there are many different ways that you can top these mouthwatering dutch baby pancakes.
Our first experience with German Pancakes we enjoyed fresh lemon juice sprinkled over the top. Then lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
Since that first experience years ago, we have had fun over the years trying different topping ideas.
My kids usually love the fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar dusting. And to make it extra special, we also add fresh fruit like sliced strawberries, blueberries
But Miss Jade prefers to top the German Pancakes with my homemade Maple Peach Jam.
I prefer my homemade no-cook strawberry Freezer Jam.
Yet others also enjoy fresh buttermilk syrup or maple syrup on top.
Dutch Baby German Pancakes Magic
But the real magic of these Dutch baby German Pancakes is just how insanely easy they are to make.
It only takes about 5 minutes of prep work, and then 20-25 minutes of baking and then you are ready to dig in.
My kids love to see just how high we can get the German pancakes to puff.
And every time we enjoy these Dutch babies, we never have leftovers! I actually have to bake TWO of these Oven German Pancakes to please our entire family of 6.
If you have a lot of company coming that you need to feed, this is an excellent way to make feeding a crowd feel special but also insanely easy.
When we have company, I often like to make Mini German Pancakes. That way there are displayed in an easy individual serving pancake that everyone can dress up how they like.
So if you are cooking for a crowd, or just want to make your Brunch party look fancy – try our Mini German Pancakes recipe HERE.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place butter in 9X13 baking dish and place to warm in oven
- Combine eggs, milk, flour and salt into a smooth batter
- When butter is melted, swirl batter into the melted butter.
- Return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove from Oven, slice into 12 equal pieces
- Drizzle with lemon juice and lightly dust with powdered sugar and serve
- Areas in most contact with butter will puff and expand into large buttery, eggy mountains. This is normal. Don't fear, you are doing it right.
- German Pancakes (authentically called pfannkuchen) is similar to Yorkshire Pudding or American Popovers.
- Traditionally baked in skillet or oven, these can also be cooked in muffin tins to create single serving Mini German PancakeCan be topped with sls
- Can be topped with fresh fruit, no cook strawberry freezer jam, maple peach jam, or even apple slices.
Rectangular Baking Dish Fine White Porcelain
Ninja Professional 72oz Countertop Blender
Norpro Nonstick Oven Dutch Baby Pan
Good Cook Glass Shaker, 5.5 oz, Clear
4 Ounce Premium Stainless Steel Sugar Shaker
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 5g
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT FOR LATER…
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Sweeten your Valentine’s Day with new OREO Flavors! - February 13, 2019
- Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe – Bacon Chicken Rosa Bake - February 12, 2019
- How to Make German Pancakes Recipe - January 29, 2019