As if it ever goes away, but it’s cold and flu season again! Many of my friends have been hit and find themselves sick and shut in! The flu has been really bad this year. Worse than in years passed. At least among people I personally know. Do you know someone who is suffering from the flu now that could really benefit from some flu remedies? It is time to help our friends, family and even ourselves combat this flu and get back on our feet. Who has time to be sick? Really? So hopefully our flu remedies will help you kick that cold and flu out the window and you can get back to your busy life!
Understanding the Flu and preventing it
Ok, so the flu is a very common term. But do you really know the symptoms to watch out for? It is rather serious if the little ones get it. So it’s very important we know what symptoms are associated with the flu! The three main symptoms are
- Body aches
- Respiratory symptoms
If your little ones feature these symptoms, watch them carefully. If it gets worse, get them to a Doctor immediately. The last thing you want is your child to end up in the ER with influenza. It can be rather scary.
There are common things you can do to help reduce your risk of contracting the flu. These include:
- Proper hand washing, especially after being near others with the flu
- Proper nutrition. If you are eating healthy foods and getting adequate nutrition your body is stronger to fight off any possible exposure
- Adequate water intake. Water is so important to our health. It is truly amazing what you can combat if you get all the water you need in a day.
- Exercise. Again, if our body is in optimal health and fitness, it is harder for viruses to take root and make us sick.
Effective Flu remedies to help get you back to life!
So, we did our best to prevent getting the flu; but that isn’t always foolproof! So now it’s time to treat the flu with some flu remedies! Many of the items we talked about in our last article of common cold remedies will work amazingly for flu remedies as well! So definitely be sure to visit and browse through those five tips too!
Here are some great flu remedies that will get you back on your feet:
- Hydration! At the onset of first symptoms get in as much water as you can. It will drastically decrease how severe your symptoms will become.
- Hot herbal teas and broth! It has been shown that warm liquids help to stimulate the immune system and stop the proliferation of the flu virus. Again, I hate tea, so steep it in hot apple juice for a delicious alternative. Warm chicken broth will not only make your spirits lighter, but helps your body combat the flu.
- REST! Take a sick day or three. Make sure you are getting the rest you need. Without it the flu will last longer and you will be far more miserable. Not to mention you will also spread the disease.
- Herbal treatments. There are many natural flu remedies such as elderberry syrup, Apple Cider Vinegar, using a Humidifier and essential oils. These will help boost your bodies natural defenses and start combatting the virus a lot faster.
- Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil. Of all OTC medications, I don’t know any that understand the flu like Vicks does. They have a great formula for daytime use and nighttime use. It helps with the aches, pains, and fever. Thus allowing you to feel better! No, they don’t actually kill off the virus. That is what all the other flu remedies are for. This one is specifically to help you feel better while all the others are doing their job.
Why use Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil for flu remedies
Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil are the #1 pharmacist recommended brand for adult cough/cold/flu relief. Another reason why it’s a common staple in our medicine cabinet. It is great for combatting the flu and the common cold! The active ingredients in the formula work to suppress the impulse to cough, help clear nasal congestion for easier breathing, help relieve minor aches and pains, and reduce a fever. NyQuil is also specially formulated for a restful night’s sleep.
The husband is a fan of the Liquid NyQuil. He uses it all the time when he gets a cold or the flu. I’m a big advocate of the capsules. I just can’t stand the liquid taste. I’m a baby, I know it. Ha-ha! When I get a fever and body aches, the Vicks DayQuil is what I reach for first. Or if it is night, I always go for the NyQuil. It is amazing how it helps to ease you into a much needed rest.
Before trying any new medication make sure to check with your doctor & follow the proper recommended course of treatment.
DayQuil & Nyquil is not recommended for children younger than 12. Please be sure to consult your physician before giving DayQuil & NyQuil to children.
When using DayQuil/NyQuil, be sure to follow the usage guidelines for warnings and dosage directions or visit http://www.vicks.com for more information.
What are your successful flu remedies?
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Vicks DayQuil & NyQuil. I received product samples and a promotional item as a thank you for participating.