It’s that time of year again! The time of sniffles, coughs, fevers, and overall misery. That’s right. It’s the time when the kids bring home the germs and pass around the common cold. It’s inevitable that we will always get the common cold each year. Especially in the winter months. There are tips to help cut down on the likely hood of getting the common cold, but for us it’s only a matter of time. We will catch it. But we have a few tips that can help you combat the common cold and get back to life faster than letting it run its course! These have been tested and tried tips. Meaning, ever since I was a teenager eons ago; when I used these tips my colds would be less severe and go away faster than when I just took common cold medicine and let it run its course. I hope you will find these tips for fighting colds beneficial.
5 Tips for fighting the common cold
1. Increase Fluids. This is common knowledge. When you increase your fluids it helps your body function better and combat and flush out the germs making you sick. Water is the most crucial. But fresh juices are also very beneficial.
2. Herbal immune booster. There are a handful of herbal supplements I take religiously when I get sick. The #1 item I take is Zicam- or the generic brand works just as well! Not even kidding. When I start taking the zinc supplements right at the signs of the cold and follow the directions, my colds tend to only last a few days. When I don’t use the zinc supplements my colds last a good 2+ week. Big difference. And not just the length, but also the severity is affected. With zinc I’m not as sick as when I skip the Zicam.
Echinacea- another amazing immune boosting herb. It helps to boost your immune system and reduces the severity and duration of the cold.
Other beneficial herbs and spices are Slipper Elm, Mobilia, Garlic, Ginger, Thyme, Tumeric, Cinnamon, and Spicy spices such as black pepper, red pepper.
3. Rest. Really do I need to explain this one? Our bodies are working in overdrive to fight the virus. It needs all the rest it can get to have the energy it needs to win the battle. Take some down time. I know it’s hard, especially being a mom. Even harder when your kids are always on the go. But make it a priority to get to bed at an early hour. Take 5-10 minutes randomly throughout the day to just relax and rest.
4. Herbal Tea- Another secret way to get in both the fluids and the herbs to boost your body’s immune system. I should tell you now, I absolutely hate tea. All kinds. Unless it is steeped in Apple juice. When you have the right blend of organic herbal tea steeped in hot apple juice it tastes just like hot cider! It is quite delicious! And it is very relaxing.
It is also a great way to help your kids when they are sick. I remember my mom making me herbal tea in the hot apple juice. I actually drank it and liked it! My own kids even will drink it. Actually they sometimes ask for it without being sick. Plus it gives extra vitamins.
The best herbal blends for combatting colds will contain ginger root, eucalyptus or peppermint, clove and Cinnamon of some kind. Chamomile is also amazing for relaxing and just feeling better. If you are extra lucky, you can even find some with Melaleuca Leaf. It is known for many health benefits. For even more immune fighting kick, add in a little lemon and honey. This helps with sore throats and any voice problems.
5. Over the Counter Cold medicines. These won’t solve the root of the problem of the common cold. The herbs will help you boost your immune system; but they take time. You still need something to help you feel better right now! That is where over the counter medicines come in. These are temporary solutions to help you feel better and get back on your feet.
Recently I just tried out the new Advil Congestion relief. I was quite impressed with it. Many times the cold medications are aimed at treating more symptoms than I have and I end up feeling drugged. I hate that feeling. I wanted something that would treat exactly what I was suffering and not leave me feeling groggy.
The Advil congestion relief did just that. It has Phenylephine for an antihistamine and Ibuprophen for a pain reliever. Both were well dosed and worked quickly. Soon I was back on my feet. Was I cured? No. But I definitely felt a lot better. I could breathe again, and the pain wasn’t so severe. I could fulfil the responsibilities that couldn’t be put on hold. And it was very beneficial!
I would definitely recommend the Advil congestion relief next time you have a cold. You can learn more about Advil Congestion relief from their website. Also you can like their Facebok page for more detailed information.
And even better, you can get a $2 off Digital Coupon to give it a try! In my geographical area, that makes it cost less than the generic brand cold medicines!
I hope you are free of the common cold virus, but if you are battling, I hope our tips help you recover quickly! No one likes being sick.
What are your successful common cold remedies?
I received a free sample of Advil Congestion relief from Smiley360 in order to facilitate this review. Opinions expressed are 100%my own and were not influenced. To learn more about Smiley360 visit Join Smiley360.
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Haunted Halloween Fireplace Mantel Ideas - October 20, 2017
- How to Keep Fruit Fresh and Save Money! - October 19, 2017
- Enjoy a Special Lunch Date w/ Culver’s Cheese Curds - October 12, 2017