Remember the struggle of loosing a sock in the wash? It still happens in our house all the time, even with a new washing machine! I swear there is a sock monster that lives in our laundry room. So what do you do with that collection of single stray socks? Do you throw them out? No, we use them in crafts! And being the holidays a great way to use up some of those white stray socks is a fun sock snowman craft!
Sock Snowman Craft
The little sock snowman is simple to create. Yet they are so adorable too. Plus you are utilizing an old sock that you normally would have just thrown out! So Win again!
1 Pair Work Socks
10 C Rice
4 Pins (2 the same color )
Scarf This can be a piece of ribbon, or fabric, your choice
1 spool Thread that matches the sock color
1 Pair Scissors
3 Buttons (optional)
1 tube Super glue (for sticking on the buttons)
1. Cut the sock in half just past the ankle area towards the toes. Set aside the toe portion for now.
2. With the thread, tie closed the cut end of the sock and turn it inside out so the tied portion is now on the inside of the sock.
3. Start filling the open end of the sock with rice. Fill till it’s almost full, but with some room to tie it closed. As you fill, lift the sock to distribute more rice near the lower half of the sock to form the body of the snowman.
4. Tie the top of the sock closed with thread. With your hands, slightly squish and form the head of the snowman and give definition to the body.
5. Using thread again, tie a piece of thread around the neck and tighten it to give it further definition.
6. With the toe portion of the sock, fold over the open end once or twice. This is the hat.
Fit the hat on the snowman and adjust where you feel looks good. Remember to leave room for eyes and a nose!
7. Using the two pins that are the same color, pin them in the head of the snowman to form his eyes. Then use the third pin for the nose.
8. Take your ribbon/fabric and tie it around the neck of the snowman. The last pin can be used to hold the scarf in place.
9. At this point, you can choose to glue on buttons if you choose. Or you can leave it as is.
And that is all there is to it! Your Sock snowman is now complete!
When carrying the snowman, you will want to support him from the bottom, as the rice moves around a lot and will distort his body.
You can do different variations and different looks for the Sock snowman based on the type of stray socks you have. Make it look more rustic with different colored socks. The ability for creation choices are endless!