As a Natures Sleep 2014 brand ambassador we are celebrating July with Homemade Ice Cream recipes! I receive Natures Sleep products from time to time for review purposes but all opinions are my own. So tell me, who is ready for some delicious homemade ice cream recipes?
Summer time means it is the perfect time for cold desserts! This is when we pull out the ice cream maker and get busy with some delicious homemade ice cream! My favorite is homemade rocky road ice cream! It’s a favorite tradition to make with the kids and one that is sure to please. Plus; there is no better time to enjoy ice cream than in July!
Rocky Road Homemade Ice Cream
My inspiration comes from the popular Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream recipe book. Seriously if you don’t have it; you have to get it! It’s the best ice cream recipe book on the market. And believe me; I love my homemade ice cream and have tried a lot of different ones. I use Ben’s Chocolate recipe for the base of the rocky road homemade ice cream with just a little modification. Then add in the extras to make it unique to rocky road!
- 4 ounce Dark unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup whole natural almonds
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- Melt the chocolate and milk in a sauce pan on low heat until the chocolate is completely melted and blended with the milk.
- Stir frequently to ensure it doesn't scald or burn the chocolate.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat eggs until fluffy
- Whisk in the sugar a little bit at a time; ensuring it it blends completely
- Add in cream, vanilla and salt.
- whisk until blended
- Add in the chocolate mixture and whisk until completely blended.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until cold. This is usually 1-3 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- About 26 minutes into the processing of the ice cream ( or when there is only 15 minutes left) add in the almonds and marshmallows.
- Serve immediately for soft serve OR; place in an air tight container in the freezer for a few hours to harden it up.
- This recipe makes 1 quart of ice cream