It’s that most dreaded time of raising a baby. Teething time! But keep these 5 Teething must haves around to make it as easy as possible. Teething normally isn’t fun. But you can make it a whole lot nicer for both baby and Mom.
This article is made possible by select sponsored brands. It also contains affiliate links to products for your shopping convenience. Thanks for supporting our site so we can continue to bring you great FREE resources!
Teething Must Haves
Oh, I can’t tell you how much I despise Teething! It’s like your once beautiful angel child turns into a drooling, insatiable chewing Monster of saliva slime! They are grumpy, fussy, achy, discontent and cry constantly. Honestly I don’t know which is worse, teething or colic! Both leave mom and baby over tied and emotionally drained.
Symptoms often include
- Biting or constant desire to chew on hard objects
- Crying more than usual – fussiness, unable to appease.
- Loss of appetite
- Night waking and sleep disruption. A baby that usually sleeps through the night may revert to multiple wakings.
- Ear pulling; cheek rubbing
So to help your little one feel better, uses the 5 teething must haves. They will offer comfort and relief for your little one.
Teething Tablets – Most well known as Hyland’s baby teething tablets. Honestly with all 4 of my babies, nothing helped relieve the pain as well as the Hyland’s Tablets. My babies all loved to take them as it was almost instantly they began to feel better.
Teething Toys – There are all kinds of items that fit under this description. And you don’t have to get every one. But I do recommend you get a variety of them. These are items that are fit for your baby to chew on. And let me tell you they will CHEW THEM!
My babies liked a variety of different types. And they would cycle through them depending on how their gums were feeling at the time. Sometimes they wanted something softer to chew on so they wanted a wash cloth. Other times they wanted something really hard, so a play ring was the toy of choice.
These are some popular chewing Toys you will want to pick and choose from.
- Sophie the Giraffe
- Teether toy Ice Ring
- Chewing Keys
- Silicone Teether with bristles – My babies loved this one, the bristles helped to massage the gums.
- buzzy bee Teether
- Nuby Wacky Teething Ring – this is currently one of Miss Rose’s favorites
- Teething Blanket
- Lots of Links Ring Toys
- Fresh Food Fruit Feeder Silicone Pacifier Pouch – LOVE this one. You put frozen fruits inside like banana, pineapple, etc and then baby can chew on them. It offers something cold to chew but also a yummy treat inside to convince them to keep chewing.
- Razbaby Razberry – provides great textures for comfort
- Bright Starts Snuggle Teether – Rose Loves this one, it is the benefits of a cloth, crinkle toy for sound sendory play, and teether tabs all in one.
- Bright Starts Grab and Spin Rattle – lets baby play with noise, texture and offers harder chewing object when needed
- Plain wash cloth! Simply get it wet and chill in the freezer for a few hours. Take it out and baby can chew on a soft and cool cloth for relief. This is a favorite for my babies.
- Paci Plushies – these are a comfort toy for babies, that also attaches to the pacifier (another great option for baby to chew on) and makes it easy to find the pacifier. Plus when a baby doesn’t want to chew the pacifier they can chew on the soft plushie toy.
- Mam Pacifier – or your babies favorite binky. It offers them comfort for sucking and they can also chew on them when their gums are tender. Each of my babies preferred a different pacifier, so each baby will be different. Currently, little Rose loves the Glow in the Dark Mam Pacifiers. Personally, I love them because I can find them at night without turning on a light. Life saver!
Teething Necklaces – No I’m not talking about Amber Teething Necklaces. While some absolutely swear by them, there isn’t absolute scientific proof behind them. So I’m skipping them this time.
But what I am talking about are stylish Jewelry for MOMs to wear that are also designed to be chewing objects for baby. They have a variety of stylish necklaces and jewelry that is all made from Silicone.
They are great for babies to chew and it’s something Mom can always have available since you can wear it!
Honestly, Miss Rose LOVES my Snuggle Bunny Beads Necklaces and she will chew on them literally for hours at a time while at church.
Watch out if anyone tries to get the Snuggle Bunny Beads Necklace away from Miss Rose. You will have a screaming match on your hands. She literally throws a screaming tantrum when you take it away.
So for the sake of a quiet baby in the middle of the church surrounded by people trying to worship— I wear these necklaces almost every Sunday! They truly are amazing how nice they are for little Rose to chew on!
And they are durable. Rose Pulls and pulls and pulls, and the ribbon has never snapped or frayed. And the necklace is still holding strong.
If you have a baby entering the teething stage, you need one of these necklaces from Snuggle Bunny Beads!
Thermometer – often times babies develop a fever while teething. You want to ensure you have a quality thermometer on hand.
Use this to keep track of your little one’s temperature. If the fever runs too high or lasts you may want to consider taking them to see the pedestrian as often times babies can develop ear infections while teething.
It is best to always keep an eye open for infections or when a fever gets too high.
If you suspect an ear infections be sure talk with your pediatrician.
Having a reliable thermometer is crucial when you have babies. We have always had great results with the Exergen thermometer. Always accurate and reliable. But I have my eye and wishlist on the iProven Head and Ear thermometer for an upgrade myself.
Diaper Rash Cream
Why on earth would you need diaper rash cream to survive Teething? Let me tell you from a Mom who has done this 4 times – You NEED diaper rash cream!
I don’t know what it is about teething, but it triggers the most horrible diaper rash! I’m talking raw and sometimes bleeding. And it is INSTANT!
My child will have the perfect baby’s bottom one second and then the very next diaper change makes me wonder if my child has been snatched away and I’m dealing with an alien. This was NOT my child’s skin just one hour ago! How can it change so drastically in such short amount of time??
Also, a common symptom of teething is diarrhea so you can see why skin may be irritated. So yes, you want diaper rash cream. The good stuff. I personally love Burt’s Bees or a natural Diaper rash cream with calendula. Babyganics is also a pretty good natural option.
Along with that, often times, we found that if the diaper rash was very severe, soaking the baby in a warm to Luke warm bath with baking soda and oatmeal soothed the diaper rash and helped to clear it up faster than even the prescription creams could.
Then use the diaper rash cream to protect and prevent further diaper rashes.
Teething Must NOT Haves
Notice there are two big items here that I have not listed! These are two items you do NOT want to use for teething.
- Infants Tylenol. Honestly the tylenol never helped my babies through teething. It’s just a different type of pain. It’s also not good to constantly administer pain relievers to infants.Teething is not something that is resolved in a day. It can last up to a few weeks. The last thing you want to do is give your child medicine every 4 hours for weeks on end. Consult your doctor before giving any Tylenol to your child when it comes to teething.
- Baby Orajel! Actually there are lots of brands/products in this nature. But mostly you do NOT want to use anything that includes Benzocaine. This includes items such as Anbesol, Hurricaine, Orajel, Baby Orajel, and Orabase.The reasoning is the FDA has released findings that show that these products can lead to a rare but serious—and sometimes fatal—condition called methemoglobinemia when used on babies! You can read about the FDA warnings Here and Here.
There really isn’t a lot you can do to get over the teething stage. Mostly you need time, and a lot of patience. Also a few weeks supply of DR Pepper (or whatever your energy drink of choice may be) will come in handy, due to the lack of sleep you will also enjoy at the hands of your screaming banshee child.
But with these 5 Teething Must Haves, you can help your little one manage the discomfort as best as possible. And hopefully those beautiful white tooth buds will pop through soon and you can go back to a blissful nights rest and enjoy your sweet angelic child again!
What are your top Teething Must haves?
How do you keep your sanity through teething season?
Eating Around the Table Beginners Guide to Easy Homemade Family Dinners
Discover the ideas, recipes, and strategies to easy homemade family friendly dinners and how to create memories around the table.
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- The Best & Easiest Chocolate Toffee Cream Cheese Fruit Dip - July 10, 2018
- Patriotic Bandana Wreath Tutorial - June 28, 2018
- How to Freeze Peaches without Sugar - June 27, 2018