With the temperatures dropping, nothing beats curling up with a nice cup of hot cocoa right? And let me tell you we have some awesome hot cocoa recipes like our Belgian Hot Chocolate, and our Peanut Butter Hot chocolate recipes. To me there isn’t much that beats a great cup of peppermint hot cocoa on a cold day! And now you can enjoy that outside of the hot cocoa mug with this amazing Peppermint hot cocoa cupcake!
Peppermint Hot cocoa Cupcake recipe
The first step is getting the cupcake. You need to start with a sweet chocolate cupcake base.
Hot Cocoa Cupcake
- 1 3/4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 C Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla
- 1 C Boiling Water
- -Line the cupcake tins with paper liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- -In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- -Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- -Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- -Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- -Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- -The batter may be a little runny.
- -Scoop batter into cupcake lined cups until 3/4s filled.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- -Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- -Take out of the cupcake pan placing on a wire rack until completely cooled.
Then the magic happens when you add in the Peppermint frosting!
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp peppermint flavoring
- Red gel food coloring
- Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Add peppermint flavoring. Stir to blend throughout the entire bowl of frosting.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then....
- - Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time.... mix well.
- -Divide the large bowl of frosting in half. Put one half of the frosting in the first bowl. This bowl remains white. The second bowl of frosting add several drops of red gel food coloring. Stir to mix well.
- -If ready scoop the red frosting into a pastry bag then add the white frosting to the same bag with a large tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start the frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- -Add a piece of peppermint candy to the top of the frosting.
Decorate the hot cocoa cupcake with the peppermint frosting. And then add in the little peppermint candy. If you want to be extra creative take a red striped paper straw and cut down to size and stick it in to make the cupcake look like a cup of hot cocoa!
Just image how perfect this Peppermint frosted hot cocoa cupcake will be for your next Holiday party!
What is your favorite flavor of frosting for you hot cocoa cupcake?
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Enjoy a Special Lunch Date w/ Culver’s Cheese Curds - October 12, 2017
- DIY Turkey Tulle Wreath Tutorial - October 9, 2017
- DIY Witch Hat Headband - October 3, 2017