So the other day I got a text from my sister-in-law saying, “Family dinner at our house Sunday. Will you bring a dessert?”
Sure! I love dessert.
Sunday morning rolls around and I think, Oh man! That’s tonight! What am I going to make? So I do what any normal woman would do.
I pull up my dessert board on Pinterest.
Of course it’s chalk full of amazing treats that I want to eat right now. Seriously. Right now. But I scrolled through until I found a few ideas, and then I let my imagination carry me away.
And where did it take me?
To Cherries and Cream Dessert Bars.
And thus Cherries and Cream Dessert Bars were born.
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 can Cherry Pie filling (or double this recipe)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13" pan and set aside.
- Mix together cake mix and butter until it forms a uniform crumbly mixture.
- Set aside 1 cup of this mixture to use as a topping later.
- Mix in the egg and press mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Spread cherries on top of the baked crust
- Cream together cream cheese, remaining egg, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cherry pie filling.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 30-34 minutes or until edges of top begin to lightly brown.
- Allow to cool then refrigerate before serving.
I didn’t have cherry pie filling, but I did have sour cherries in my freezer! (Remember this post?) So I whipped up a double batch of the cherry sauce and it turned out amazing.
The dessert bars were a definite success. Most of my family was taking seconds. Or thirds. Fourths and fifths were also claimed. And my niece sat down in front of the pan with a fork and had her way with the dessert bars.
That’s definitely what I like to see when I bring dessert to the table. Do you have a favorite recipe that’s always a winner?