Winter seriously cramps my running style. I live in an area with very cold temps and a lot of ice. It’s not safe for me to run outdoors during several months of the year, so I go to an indoor track at our local university.
To keep myself entertained – and motivated! – I have to make sure I have workout music that I love.
How does a song make the cut? Let me tell ya. I look for songs with lyrics that I know and enjoy. I like to sing along (aka wheeze along!). I include music that makes me want to dance, since it gives me a boost of mental energy in the middle of a long mile. (Is it just me or do the miles get longer and longer the further you go?)
And I also want music that has a good solid beat throughout, even during slow parts of the song. Running has a rhythm, just like music. I find the beat of the song and I can pace my footfalls to match it. For example: Every drum beat I’ll step with my left foot and every clap with my right…
Everyone has “their list.” I feel like I have to know someone really well before I sidle up to them and whisper conspiratorially, “Hey…what’s on your running list?” But we’re all friends here, right?! I’ll share mine and then I want to know yours!
In no particular order, here are 30 of my favorite running songs:
1. As We Ran – National Parks
2. Babel – Mumford & Sons
3. Safe & Sound – Capital Cities
4. Shut Up and Dance – Walk the Moon
5. I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
6. On Top of the World – Imagine Dragons
7. Just Kids – Alex & Sierra
8. Red Balloon – Charli XCX
9. Paint the Town Green – The Script
10. I Bet My Life – Imagine Dragons
11. Sledgehammer – Fifth Harmony
12. Different Colors – Walk the Moon
13. Cecilia and the Satellite – Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
14. Stitches – Shawn Mendes
15. E.T. – Katy Perry
16. Take On Me – A-Ha
17. Whataya Want From Me – Adam Lambert
18. If I Had You – Adam Lambert
19. Ghost – Ella Henderson
20. Work This Body – Walk the Moon
21. Hopeless Wanderer – Mumford & Sons
22. Danger Zone – Kenny Loggins
23. Livin’ on a Prayer – Bon Jovi
24. Rolling In the Deep – Adele
25. Dancing With Myself – Billy Idol
26. Theme from Mission Impossible
27. What Is Love – Haddaway
28. Video Killed the Radio Star – The Buggles
29. We Will Rock You – Queen
30. Run – Delta Rae
I have a few more than these on my playlist, and it’s always changing. But these are my favorites for now. They keep me motivated and happy. Give them a listen and see if there’s something new you’d like to try. I’m always up for new running songs! Your turn…
What do you listen to while you work out? And hey, mopping totally counts! Seriously, I want to know what you love to jam to while you run/bike/lift/kick/zumba/sweep.
And if you’re a newbie runner (or even seasoned!), check out our article on Tips for Runners. Impart of your wisdom so I can improve my form! And if you want a fancy running shirt for your next race or jog around the block, try out a Bleach Tee!