I hate the white elephant tradition. Everybody has to come to a work party or a family party and buy a “gag” gift for a family member or co-worker and it has to be unique, fun, and under $10. So what usually ends up happening is that someone gets the “Hillbilly Bubble Bath” (beans in a bottle) or a package of toilet paper, because the gift giver didn’t want to do this in the first place. Then everybody claps and laughs (Co-Worker #1 “Oh, how cleaver! You eat the beans, then you take a bath and get the bubble bath!” Co-Worker #2 “Toilet Paper! Useful and funny!” Co-Worker #3 “I didn’t want to do this.”). Then everybody goes home and throws their white elephant present away. Except, strangely enough, for the toilet paper. I mean, we all have a use for that, right?
So, while you are online shopping this year, instead of buying something that (in all honesty) if you skipped the middleman, you would just chuck it in the land fill, why not get something that actually adds to the celebration? Something fun that seriously nobody would expect? Here are five white elephant ideas that they won’t hate. (Some may be affiliate links that will pay pennies just because I referred you to their site).
Top 5 White elephant Gifts
- Ninjabread Men Cookie Cutter For the chef in your office, these cookie cutters are perfect for EVERY occassion! Why? Because they’re ninjas! Bake some of these for the office, and your meeting just went to Hades in a hand basket, because everybody is too busy making their cookies fight. BONUS: You get to eat any limbs or heads that fall off in the battle.
- Cat Whack-a-Mole For the crazy cat lady down the street, or the pathetic office member who corners you for conversation every chance he/she gets because work is their social life, this is a great gift. Watch the video for all of the action! And remember: (sing this in your mind) If you’re single and you know it, pet your cat.
- Poo Pouri Yes, this really is a product. My wife got me one for my birthday, and I actually use it. It doesn’t smell half bad, when all is said and done. And when you’re potty-training… well, if you’re going to be stuck in the bathroom with your child anyway, this can be a life-saver. Seriously get your own Poo Pouri here. You won’t regret it!
- Bacon-Scented Air Freshener If you have a bunch of guys in the office, they will use this. They really, really will.
- The Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer Though the Banana Slicer itself isn’t super-awesome, do the recipient a favor and copy and print off the list of reviews that people have added onto this product. My favorite is this one:
What can I say about the 571B Banana Slicer that hasn’t already been said about the wheel, penicillin, or the iPhone…. this is one of the greatest inventions of all time. My husband and I would argue constantly over who had to cut the day’s banana slices. It’s one of those chores NO ONE wants to do! You know, the old “I spent the entire day rearing OUR children, maybe YOU can pitch in a little and cut these bananas?” and of course, “You think I have the energy to slave over your damn bananas? I worked a 12 hour shift just to come home to THIS?!” These are the things that can destroy an entire relationship. It got to the point where our children could sense the tension. The minute I heard our 6-year-old girl in her bedroom, re-enacting our daily banana fight with her Barbie dolls, I knew we had to make a change. That’s when I found the 571B Banana Slicer. Our marriage has never been healthier, AND we’ve even incorporated it into our lovemaking. THANKS 571B BANANA SLICER!
If you’re going to the office party or family party and you bring one of these white elephant gifts, people will actually look forward to your crappy gift!