I adore summer! Seriously it is my favorite season. But being pregnant through the summer is not my favorite thing. I am always overheating. So we’ve learned quite a few tricks on how to stay cool in summer without hurting our power bill. Because trust me, that first month of summer when I was dropping the thermostat to 65-68 degrees to handle my pregnancy hot flashes; our power bill hurt!
*Thanks to our friends at Honeywell we now have selected and received our favorite Portable AC Unit, to help out with this article. However all our tips and opinions on how to stay cool in summer are our own.*
How to Stay cool in Summer
When it comes to the effort to stay cool, I have learned a number of tricks over the years. Especially since most of my life I have never had an Air conditioner in the home. Just recently we bought our first home and thankfully it has Air Conditioning. Which helps to keep cool and beat the heat. But it doesn’t mean we can just let it run all the time. Or at the temperature I want. Because really that makes the power bill quite painful!
So follow these tips on how to stay cool; and you will be able to be more comfortable this summer, without seeing your power bill skyrocket!
1. Keep Blind/curtains closed. During the day draw the blinds and curtains. This keeps the hot air out, the sun out and the cooler air inside.
2. Open windows at night. If you happen to live in a location where it cools off at night, throw those windows open once the temperature cools off. That will get your house cooled off and start it off right the next morning. Just be sure to close everything again as soon as the sun comes up and it begins to warm up.
3. Drink plenty of water. If you get dehydrated, then the temperatures will feel a lot hotter. Plus you need to replenish the water you sweat out.
4. Use fans. Help move the air around in your house. Cold air tends to hang low and heat rises. So place fans in the basement at the stairs and blow the air upstairs. Also you can use a fan in the most traffic areas to keep the air from feeling hot and stagnant. Just blowing it around can sometimes cool you off.
5. Close the lower vents. As we mentioned heat rises. And cold lingers low. So if you have Air conditioning in your home, close the vents in the lower levels of your home to push the cold air to the vents in the higher levels of the home. I can’t tell you the dramatic difference this made in our master bedroom (which is above the garage) when we closed the vents in the basement!
6. Use a Portable AC Unit.
Even with all of these tips, I was still overheating in our house. I mean, I’m pregnant. That does some funky things to your body. But we were also reaching 100+ degrees! So that didn’t help either.
We didn’t want to drop the thermostat down into the 60’s, but also I couldn’t handle the heat. So we added tip #6! A Portable AC unit. Specifically we got the Honeywell MM14HCS Portable AC unit.
This Honeywell Portable AC unit has me so excited because it is portable! Unlike AC units that you install into your window, this one can be moved around your house! And that is exactly what I wanted.
This is the key to keeping the power bill low! Whichever room tends to get the hottest, or the room you spend the most time in that you want set at a cooler temperature, just set up this unit in that room! And then you are able to make that specific room cooler!
No need to turn down the entire thermostat for the whole house and run a lot of power just trying to cool off one room! Nope, just set up the portable AC unit and you are good to go!
There’s no permanent installation required like wall units, plus this lightweight AC glides from room to room and hooks up in minutes with a flexible exhaust hose and easy-to-install window venting kit.
You just connect the hose together and attached to the vent on the portable AC unit.
Then connect the other end of the venting tube to the window shield (which is adjustable to fit any size window)! And that is it! You are ready to use your machine!
No more stressing about those odd shaped windows in old homes or apartments. Which has been the problem with my parent’s home. They can’t get a regular AC unit because of the odd size of their windows. But that wouldn’t be a problem with this AC unit.
Not to mention, the versatility of this Portable AC unit! It’s not just for cooling! Nope, it’s a 4-in-1 functioning device: cooling, heating, fan and dehumidification. now with one unit I can get all 4 functions year-round!
That means in the winter, I can move it to the coldest room to help heat instead of turning up the heater for the entire house too!
And to really help the hurt on the power bill; this Honeywell AC unit uses only 11.6 Amps compared to 12.6 Amps for other electric heaters, which ultimately saves energy costs.
- Range from 8,000 BTU to 14,000 BTU appliances with no-drip design
- Powerful air flow and quiet operation
- Three speeds with 24 hour energy-saving programmable timer
- Environmentally-friendly refrigerant
- Digital LED display
- Covers areas of up to 500 square feet as an air conditioner and 400 square feet as a heater.
- Dehumidification up to 79.2 pints per day
- 3M electrostatic filter
- caster wheels on this black portable air conditioner make it easy to roll the unit from room to room
Not to mention the sleek design that helps it look classy, even in the middle of the room. Plus the noise is minimal! When our Honeywell AC unit is running it is about the same volume as our box fan set at the low fan setting. So really, there isn’t a lot of extra noise by using this unit versus the box fan. Only we get a lot cooler with the Honeywell AC unit.
Right now we have it set up in our master bedroom. Because I have crazy pregnancy heating and overheat in the middle of the night. So I like our bedroom colder than the rest of the house while we sleep. Not to mention our bedroom also has the hardest time cooling down since it is over the garage.
But once the baby comes I will be able to move it into her bedroom to help keep her room just a little warmer than the rest of the house. Thus creating the perfect sleeping environment for her.
Not to mention it has a fun remote control for setting the temperatures from across the room. Yes, I keep my remote on my nightstand next to my bed. So if I need to change the temperature at night, I can do it from there, instead of having to get up!
There are so many options on how you can use a Honeywell Portable AC unit. They have many different unit models at different price points to fit your needs for the size of your home too. Visit Honeywell to see all the models they can offer to help you stay cool in the summer without hurting your power bill.
Reasons to get a Honeywell Portable AC Unit
- If your house doesn’t have AC vents and you are unable to get a full AC unit installed
- Unable to install window AC unit
- It’s Mobile! You aren’t limited to just 1 room to be cooled like window AC units, you can move it around where you need it.
- You have hot rooms that don’t cool off with your central AC
- You are renting and aren’t able to add AC
- Your windows are odd size or open wrong that you can’t install an AC unit.
- No water! You don’t have to constantly refill unit with water through out the day to keep it cool.
- Honeywell AC unit can cool off better than the window AC unit.
- You can set actual temperature (like 70 degrees) instead of just “cool fan #3” to cool off your house! Get more personalized temperature settings
- Multi-purpose- it doesn’t just cool off the house! It also features dehumidifier and other features
You can also find Honeywell Portable AC units at home improvement stores and online at Honeywell Store.
Win a Honeywell Portable AC unit!
Want to give these tips a try? I’m so excited to say I’ve partnered with Honeywell to bring you an amazing Giveaway!
That’s right! You have the chance to win your own Honeywell Portable AC model MN12CESWW in white!! (ARV $499.99!)
Just enter via the Giveaway form below!
- Giveaway is open to USA only.
- Giveaway will run until July 30, 2015 at 11:59 pm EST.
- Winner will be emailed directly after the giveaway ending. Giveaway winner will have 36 hrs to reply and accept or a new winner will be drawn.
- All entries must be submitted via the giveaway form. – not following instructions on form could disqualify entries.
- JadeLouise Designs is not responsible for prizes not arriving. Prizes are shipping from sponsor and we cannot be liable should prizes not arrive. Arrival could take anywhere from 2-10 weeks depending on many variables in the shipping department.
Giveaway is now closed. See the winner/s on our Winners Page.
Why do you want a Honeywell Portable AC unit to help you stay cool this summer?
Which room would you love to use a Honeywell Portable AC unit?
How do you stay cool in the summer?