Have you ever seen those obscure “life hacks” lists on the internet? Like the empty cd case as a bagel sandwich holder? Or putting your lunch in a Tampax box so no one will steal it?
I often think, “Oh, what an interesting idea.” But I never go any further than that.
But, what exactly is a life hack? According to Wikipedia: “Life hacking refers to any trick, shortcut, skill, or novelty method that increases productivity and efficiency, in all walks of life.” And then I realized, hey, I have my own life hacks! Here are five of them.
- Knives – We store our knives upside down in the knife block. It keeps the knives sharper for longer because we’re not sliding them in blade side down and wasting the sharpness on a block of wood.
- Zipper fix – I have a pair of pants that has a short zipper. Short zipper equals an undone zipper. Which means I’m constantly walking around flashing people. Solution? I took a key ring and attached it to the pull of the zipper. I zip up my pants, hook the key ring on the button, then button up my pants, locking the key ring, and in turn, the zipper, in place.
- A pizza cutter is not just for pizza! It’s a whiz when you need to cut up pancakes, waffles, French toast, quesadillas and breadstick dough.
- Shampoo for shaving – I use more conditioner than shampoo. That’s the nature of the beast. I also hate using shaving cream. Hate the way it feels, don’t like the way it smells, can’t stand the way it goobers up my razor. Instead, I use a little bit of shampoo, lather it on my legs for a second, and voila! I have smooth legs and I help even out the shampoo to conditioner ratio. (I use shampoo that comes with a pump, making it extra easy to use when I shave.) And hey, check out our other tips on how to get smooth skin. You’re welcome.
- Cinnamon and sugar – We love to eat cinnamon and sugar on toast, French toast, oatmeal, tortillas with melted sugar, and a bunch of other various things. Do you know how inconvenient it is to mix up a batch of cinnamon and sugar whenever you want some? So, I bought an empty spice bottle from Winco, filled it with sugar, added some cinnamon, slapped on a label, and tada: a cinnamon and sugar shaker.
So those are just a few of the things that make my life easier. What are YOUR life hacks?
Friday 16th of January 2015
Awesome hacks! The cinnamon and sugar shaker is one my mom always did - I thought it was normal, lol. Love pizza cutters! I'm only just discovering many of the possibilities for them.
Thursday 15th of January 2015
I do the shampoo and zipper one too! :D
Keep sponges fresher longer. I occasionally put them in for a cycle in the dish washer.
My sons not a big dinner eater, so I'll take his whatever he doesn't eat (which is usually all of it) and put it in a container for the next days lunch. 1. no waste 2. i don't have to make it in the morning.
Im sure I have more but thats I can think of right now. :)