Have you ever seen those obscure “life hacks” lists on the internet? Like the empty cd case as a bagel sandwich holder? Or putting your lunch in a Tampax box so no one will steal it?
I often think, “Oh, what an interesting idea.” But I never go any further than that.
But, what exactly is a life hack? According to Wikipedia: “Life hacking refers to any trick, shortcut, skill, or novelty method that increases productivity and efficiency, in all walks of life.” And then I realized, hey, I have my own life hacks! Here are five of them.
- Knives – We store our knives upside down in the knife block. It keeps the knives sharper for longer because we’re not sliding them in blade side down and wasting the sharpness on a block of wood.
- Zipper fix – I have a pair of pants that has a short zipper. Short zipper equals an undone zipper. Which means I’m constantly walking around flashing people. Solution? I took a key ring and attached it to the pull of the zipper. I zip up my pants, hook the key ring on the button, then button up my pants, locking the key ring, and in turn, the zipper, in place.
- A pizza cutter is not just for pizza! It’s a whiz when you need to cut up pancakes, waffles, French toast, quesadillas and breadstick dough.
- Shampoo for shaving – I use more conditioner than shampoo. That’s the nature of the beast. I also hate using shaving cream. Hate the way it feels, don’t like the way it smells, can’t stand the way it goobers up my razor. Instead, I use a little bit of shampoo, lather it on my legs for a second, and voila! I have smooth legs and I help even out the shampoo to conditioner ratio. (I use shampoo that comes with a pump, making it extra easy to use when I shave.) And hey, check out our other tips on how to get smooth skin. You’re welcome.
- Cinnamon and sugar – We love to eat cinnamon and sugar on toast, French toast, oatmeal, tortillas with melted sugar, and a bunch of other various things. Do you know how inconvenient it is to mix up a batch of cinnamon and sugar whenever you want some? So, I bought an empty spice bottle from Winco, filled it with sugar, added some cinnamon, slapped on a label, and tada: a cinnamon and sugar shaker.
So those are just a few of the things that make my life easier. What are YOUR life hacks?