To me, the perfect indoor pet would be the one with the least amount of upkeep. And no odor. But since I can’t wave a magic wand and make the litter box self clean and remove the litter to the trash on it’s own, I guess I have to settle for the next best thing, a Litter Genie.
I’ve mentioned it before; the one thing I hate most about Wally, our indoor cat (well besides the hair everywhere) is the odor! It’s not that I hate the cat, just the Odor. And since Wally isn’t going anywhere; Something has to be done about the Odor. I have a very sensitive nose to pet odors as well. So I’m always trying to limit the pet odor smell as best as possible. These are the steps I’ve found to work the best.
5 tips to removing Litter box Odor with Litter Genie
- The right litter box– Our cat is, well, unique. We have gone through 3 different litter boxes. He didn’t like the ones with a cover. Others were too small. Then when we got one he would use; he would make a huge mess. When he buries his “mess” he has quite some force behind his paws. And litter would go flying out of the litter box all over the floor. Yuck. Finally the husband made a makeshift litter box out of large plastic storage container placed inside a cardboard box. with the front cut out. This gives our silly cat a big enough space that he will actually use the litter box. But also have higher walls to keep all the mess inside the actual litter box instead of scattered all over. That has really helped to contain the odor to the one room in the house.
- Quality pet litter – There are all kinds of litter you can pick. Clay, natural, etc. Single cat, multiple cats. Clumping or non clumping. For us; we specially look for clumping as it makes clean up easier. And even though we only have one cat; we always get the cat litter for multiple cats. It seems to mask the odor a lot more effectively. But whatever you do; don’t skimp on the cat litter. We did that once. It was not worth it. The odor was atrocious. We get name brand every time now.
- Changing litter regularly– You want to make sure you keep up with the litter box. Don’t let it get too empty of litter. Otherwise when the cat uses it; the mess ends up on the litter box itself instead of just in the litter. And you then have to dump out and scrub the entire thing. We usually only let the litter box get half to quarter full before we change it out and get fresh litter. Keeping it fresh will help keep your house fresh.
- Cleaning litter box daily– never never never forget to scoop out the litter box! Do it daily! Otherwise the odor will begin to permeate throughout the house. We always clean it out every evening right before everyone goes to bed. It’s a daily chore that the kids and husband share.
- Using a Litter Genie– When cleaning out the litter box you have to have somewhere to put the mess. Tossing it in the trash simply gives room for the odor to spread. A Litter Genie traps the odor until trash day!
So, doesn’t the Litter Genie look a little familiar to you? If you’ve had kids it should. It is basically the same idea of a diaper genie; but specifically for cats and the litter box mess! It is so simple to set up! It comes almost completely assembled. You just snap on the side storage for the scoop and insert the Litter Genie odor blocking bag and you are set!
Then each time you clean the litter box, just pour the mess into the Litter Genie. Just like when you put a diaper into the diaper genie. Close the lid. But instead of pushing the mess down with your hand. Or tying knots. Or doing crazy twisting. You simply pull the grey slide out. The litter box mess drops down into the bag. Then close the slider. And all the odors are locked away!
This method saves space in the bag. You don’t have to replace the odor shield bags as often either. So I am loving the lever that opens and closes to drop the litter box mess into the bag.
Then come trash day (or when it is full) you simply use the built in razor to cut off the bag. Tie a knot in the top and take it to the outside trash, just like you do with the rest of your trash. Thus less work, less litter box mess getting trailed throughout your home. And you don’t have to deal with it sitting in your trash for a week until trash day; stinking up your house or the side of your house attracting other animals if you live rural like we do.
But most importantly; the odor is gone! Except for the scent that the litter itself puts off; you can’t smell the litter box mess at all. Which is especially important as our cat resides in the laundry room. Who wants all their closes smelling like litter box mess? Yuck! It’s bad enough we have sweet Wally’s hair all over the husband’s clothes. We don’t need the smell too.
The other great thing, is that the Litter Genie is so easy to use; even your kids can do it! It’s a great way to teach responsibility and help them learn to care for an animal. So the kids help clean out the litter box from time to time. It is part of their chores or when they want to earn a little extra spending money.
Are you ready to have your own Litter Genie? The Litter Genie is available at Target. When Jade and I went to pick one up; we really lucked out as it was on sale. And I used this awesome $3 off coupon from Target to save even more! It was a sweet deal. It sure made Miss Jade happy to know we will be eliminating even more litter box odor from our house. My little nose is sure happy too!
Saving money and eliminating odor. What could be better? You can also find Litter Genie on Facebook and Twitter.
How would the Litter Genie help you remove odor from your home?