Each year we love to decorate our house for Christmas; but this year I wanted to try a more traditional Christmas decoration. But I definitely wanted to go with a homemade Christmas decoration. And then I got the idea to try out a holiday garland! You know the kind that you see in old western movies; and even some classic Christmas movies! The kind made out of Pop Corn and cranberries! So I did the research. Then discovered it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! So I’m going to share with you just how to make your own Holiday garland!
How to make a Holiday Garland with JOLLY TIME Pop Corn
To make a holiday garland you only need a very small list of supplies such as:
- Popped JOLLY TIME Pop Corn Approximately 3 quarts; no butter or salt.
- 2 quarts whole raw cranberries
- 1 large spool waxed dental floss (thin white button thread works well too)
- Several large crewel embroidery needles (the points can be rounded for Children).
To begin you want to pop your JOLLY TIME Pop Corn early and allow it to sit for a day or overnight. This just makes the threading process easier. Then you simply follow the simple steps below
- Thread a strand of dental floss or thread onto a needle. You will want approximately 1 yard of thread. Tie a large knot into one end.
- Insert needle into a firm cranberry. Then push it all the way to the knot.
- Alternate between Pop Corn and Cranberries. Be sure to push each piece all the way to the end. This will prevent it from tangling.
- When the string is almost completed; remove the needle and set the strand of holiday garland aside. Start working on the next strand. Each of these 1 yard strings will be tied together to create one large holiday garland.
- After tying all strings together, trim the excess string and place on your indoor or outdoor trees for a traditional Christmas decoration.
Another great idea for traditional Christmas activities with JOLLY TIME Pop Corn is to make delicious Pop Corn Balls! JOLLY TIME also features a simple Pop Corn ball maker that helps take the mess out and makes it quite simple. This is the next thing we will be doing this week with our JOLLY TIME Pop Corn. The kids are quite excited.
Creating Family Christmas Traditions with Holiday garland
I have heard about family Christmas tradition stories where everyone gathers to string a holiday garland. This isn’t something we did in my family growing up. But I still wanted to give it a try. I have to say our tree looks quite festive with the traditional holiday garland on it. And it was so simple! Everyone loves the holiday garland. It may be something we decide to do each year!
One family that knows the importance of family traditions are the Smith’s. They are the makers of JOLLY TIME Pop Corn. An Iowan brand that has been handing down the American tradition of Pop Corn making for almost 100 years. JOLLY TIME has banded together with another centenarian, family-owned business, Habelman Bros. Cranberry, to help me pass along a holiday tradition so antiquated that it began when there weren’t lights to put on trees: Stringing cranberry Pop Corn garlands!
Habelman Bros. Company has been growing fresh cranberries since 1907. Four generations later, you can still count on both families to deliver the best and highest quality fresh cranberries and Pop Corn on the market.
Both products make great gifts on their own, or used in delicious recipes and fun bottled gifts! You can also take advantage of the Free Printable JOLLY TIME Mason Jar Labels for your gifts! Or visit the Holiday Recipes section for great ideas for festive treats to make with your family!
Have you ever created a traditional Pop Corn Holiday Garland?
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.