This is a sponsored conversation on cat dental care written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for supporting our Sponsors who make our FREE Resource site for you possible.
As pet parents, we want the best. We know that they need to be fed, and watered and groomed. But it’s not common knowledge that they also need cat dental care. Dogs are easy as they have more prevalent dental treats. But what about cats? Cat dental care is just as important.
I never thought about cat dental care until about 3 months ago. Our wally was acting funny. He just wasn’t his normal self.
He wasn’t eating normally.
He wasn’t playing normally.
When the husband inspected Wally, he noticed he had a few sores and actually had lost a tooth!
He got a trip to the Vet right away. Thankfully there wasn’t anything seriously wrong with him. He was given some medicine that quickly put him right back to health.
With all the benefits of being Pet Parents, we know we owe it to make sure we take care of our Wally in return.
And about the tooth. Well, yea, that is when we learned about cats dental care!
It is important to ensure your cat has good dental care. Cats suffer from dental issues that, if unchecked, can lead to serious health problems.
Since that experience, we learned a thing or two about cat dental care and the options that are available to us and what to look out for.
Tips for Good Cat Dental Care
- Yearly check up. Just like people cats need to have their teeth inspected by a vet to ensure all is well.
- Brush their teeth! Believe it or not, you can brush your cat’s teeth. Make sure to always use a toothpaste that is specifically designed for cats. DO NOT use “people” toothpaste! You can cradle your cat from behind, cup his chin, and lift up his lip to clean his teeth using either your gauze-covered finger or a toothbrush specifically designed for cats.
- Proper Food. Ensuring your cat is eating healthy food will also impact their teeth. A combination of wet and dry cat food is best. Also, ensure the food is made with the best ingredients. Always meat as the first ingredient.
- Be Vigilant. Watch for signs of problems in their mouth. Such as bad breath (more than the usual kitty breath), dropping food or chewing only on one side of the mouth, facial swellings or draining wounds, bleeding or discharge from the mouth or nose, sneezing, pawing at the mouth, tooth grinding, or discolored teeth. These are signs that something is wrong and needs to visit the Vet.
- Dental Treats! Yes, they have dental treats for cats just like they do for dogs!
I was surprised to hear that they actually have dental treats for cats. But I was very excited about it! We have been using dental treats to help keep our dog’s teeth clean.
So obviously it makes sense that there should be dental treats to help keep Wally’s teeth healthy and strong.
So I went looking for dental treats for our sweet Wally when I discovered the new Meow Mix Brushing Bites.
Meow Mix Brushing Bites are a deliciously simple way to care for your cat’s teeth.
They come in 2 great flavors, Chicken and Salmon flavor that our Wally just loves!
The new Meow Mix Brushing Bites help your cats dental health because they are:
- Specially designed to help clean cats’ teeth by reducing plaque and tartar (or help control plaque and tartar)
- Made with real chicken, salmon or tuna for a delicious taste
- Fortified with vitamin D and calcium to help support strong teeth and bone
For optimal cat dental care, you can offer your cat around 10-13 pieces a day.
We use the dental treats as a reward for good behavior, and to help keep Wally’s teeth clean.
Wally just knows he loves the treats and is getting rewarded.
We also can use them as a peace offering after he’s had to put up with a house full of company like this last week. He isn’t a fan of lots of people around. So he went into hiding the entire week.
So it was a nice apology treat for him to lure him out of hiding once all the company left.
With Wally’s cat dental care squared away, he is much happier now. And he is really excited about the new routine. Well, actually he’s not a big fan of the tooth brushing. But he sure loves his new Meow Mix Brushing Bites!
Meow Mix Brushing Bites are available at your local Walmart and will also be available on Walmart.com soon. For now, you can find out more about Meow Mix Brushing Bites here. So I can easily grab a few packages while we are doing our weekly grocery shopping trip.
Making sure that your pets are well off, you can ensure proper cat dental care in just 5 simple steps. Remember:
- Regular visits
- Brush their teeth
- Proper Food & Nutrition
- Be Vigilant
- Meow Mix Dental Treats
Your cat will thank you with love and affection! And you will be blessed with a happy and healthy furry friend!
What are your top cat dental care tips?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Sweeten your Valentine’s Day with new OREO Flavors! - February 13, 2019
- Easy Chicken Casserole Recipe – Bacon Chicken Rosa Bake - February 12, 2019
- How to Make German Pancakes Recipe - January 29, 2019