I received LifeOiL samples for review purposes to aid in the creation of our Black Bottom Cupcakes Recipe. All opinions are 100% my own.
One of my favorite things about the Holiday season is all the baking and goodies. I love the smells and the treats and all the rich flavors. One of my favorite cupcakes to bake at this time of year is a black bottom cupcake. When I was growing up, I used to call them “surprise” cupcakes. It took me years to finally find out what the real name was so I could dig up the recipe from my mom’s recipe collection.
Now while I love my Mom’s recipe; I have been playing with this recipe a bit over the last few years. And I think I have even improved upon it. Altering a few ingredients here to make it more rich in flavor. A few ingredients there to improve moisture. I think I have finally gotten it just right.
My latest alteration came from changing up the oil. This time I used LifeOiL. LifeOiL is the first natural blend of sunflower, safflower, and olive oil − ideal for healthier frying, baking, sautéing, and salads. I’ve always heard how beneficial each of those oils are individually and that we should be using each of them. Now while I’ve been a huge proponent of Olive oil for many years; this is the first time I have experienced sunflower or safflower oils.
The blend is very smooth and light it taste. It delivers rich Vitamin E and is also high in mono- and polyunsaturated fats and low in saturated fat which helps support healthy cholesterol! And features a high smoke point.
LifeOiL is definitely an oil I’d recommend you try out. Much more so than a traditional vegetable oil. The flavor and quality difference is shocking! So lets get to the goodies and get you a recipe to try out with your new LifeOiL.
Black Bottom Cupcakes Recipe
I love these black bottom cupcakes because of the fun surprise of goodness inside. You can make them regular cupcake size or even mini cupcake size. I love making mini black bottom cupcakes because of how perfectly bite sized it makes them. I just use the Wilton Mini cupcake pan; and the mini cupcake liners. Super easy!
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup LifeOiL
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream (room temperature)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Create a well in the center and add in the Sour cream, water, oil and vanilla.
- Mix until blended and no flour bits remain.
- Fill cupcake liners half to 3/4 full
- Spoon in filling
- Bake at 350 degrees 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine cream cheese, egg, sour cream, salt and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Spoon into center of Cupcake mix.
I have seen these black bottom cupcakes served with frosting or as is. Both works great. You really don’t need a frosting; these cupcakes can stand on their own two feet. But some like to make them look pretty. I personally just love to dust mine with some Powdered Sugar and call it good. Unless you have a good whipped frosting; I think it makes it a bit too rich to add a frosting to them. But to each their own.
LifeOiL is available for purchase at Walmart and now can also be found at Albertsons (a western grocery chain).
What do you love most about LifeOiL?
Have you ever tried black bottom cupcakes?
When are you going to be trying our our black bottom cupcakes recipe?
- Wholesome Fruit Filled Breakfast Cereal Bars Recipe - March 21, 2020
- Adorable and Easy Thanksgiving Turkey Wreath for your front door - November 19, 2019
- How to make the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies from scratch with Peanut Butter Twist - October 30, 2019