Homemade Southern Cornbread Recipe
This recipe first published February 27, 2012. We’ve updated with perfected measurements. This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.
Sweet Southern Cornbread Recipe that melts in your mouth!
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons 100% organic Agave Syrup (honey works too if you can't find Agave.)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted- can't have butter; use coconut oil. It still tastes great and removes any dairy issues you may have.
- 1 Cup Almond Milk (I love the taste of Almond milk in the cornbread. Regular milk works also)
- 1 Cup water
- 2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees
- Spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In medium bowl whisk together all your wet ingredients until they are smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine all your dry ingredients and mix together.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while whisking, until all combined.
- Batter may be a little lumpy, that is just fine.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Insert a toothpick and when it comes out clean it is finished.
Part of the trick to this amazing cornbread recipe is how the ingredients are mixed.
You want to mix all of your wet ingredients together first and set aside.
Then combine your cornmeal with your other dry ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
Make a hole in the center of your dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients into the well. Slowly whisk together until well combined.
And don’t worry your batter will be lumpy. That is just find. Just don’t over mix, otherwise your cornbread will become dense after cooking instead of light and sweet! Pour your batter into your baking dish and bake until golden.
This cornbread recipe does make a rather larger batch of cornbread. That is because we love cornbread and usually eat most of it. But you can half this cornbread recipe and it still turns out amazing.
This recipe makes 12 LARGE slices. Or cut them smaller and you can get 24 moderate portions from the recipe. Slice them up and serve them in a bread basket with a decorative kitchen towel. Now it’s just like traditional Homestyle Southern charm served up in a plate of fluffy gold nuggets!
Another trick, if you prefer your cornbread a little thicker and to not crumble on you while eating, simply cut down on the water you add to the cornbread recipe. Don’t worry, it won’t change the flavor. Just how crumbly your cornbread turns out. Trust me. I forgot all the water one time and it still turned out amazing. Just a lot thicker and a little more dense. But if you love light, fluffy and crumbly cornbread, keep the water in the cornbread recipe.
Now be sure to enjoy your new Cornbread recipe with your friends and family! It makes great Cornbread muffins to drop off to neighbors. And is delicious for breakfast or dinners! My husband loves it with a rib dinner or salsa slow cooker chicken, chili or even our easy Hamburger Soup.
I love it with other breakfast foods like Turkey Bacon and fresh fruit! It is truly a delicious way to complete any meal and give you a dose of southern comfort food!
How do you enjoy cornbread?
What would you pair and eat with our cornbread recipe?
Latest posts by Amber (see all)
- Back to School Shopping Checklist Printable - August 11, 2017
- The Best Learning Toys for Kids - August 9, 2017
- Adorable Gender Neutral Hot Air Balloon Diaper Cake - August 8, 2017