Yesterday was Pi Day, and we celebrated with one of our favorite pies: Key Lime Pie. I say that like it was on purpose. More like I sat up in bed at 11 o’clock Sunday night and asked my groggy hubs: “Is tomorrow pie day?!” And he was like, *snort* “Huh?”
I needed something fast. I needed something delicious. And I needed something that fit our dietary restrictions.
Question: What do you do when you have a family member who can’t have food dyes?
Answer: You leave them out!
We love key lime pie. It’s creamy and fresh, aromatic and delicious. It’s quick and easy with just a few ingredients. It also has green food coloring in it.
My son can’t have yellow 5, which is a major ingredient of green food coloring. So, we make the pie for the flavor, leave out the color, and we’re all happy!
Easy Key Lime Pie
Yield 2 Pies
Creamy, delicious Key Lime Pie. Put it together in minutes!
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese - softened
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 12 oz container whipped topping – thawed
- 2 graham cracker pie crusts
- 4 drops of green food coloring - OPTIONAL
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in lime juice and mix.
- Fold in whipped topping until smooth.
- Pour into crusts and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. (6 hours is ideal.)
It’s the same rich flavor. Same creamy feel. Same smiles that come with every bite. Same urge to eat the whole pie. Oh wait, that’s just me?
Anyway… It’s all the same. It’s just not green!
My sister in law used to make this and every time she brought it to family gatherings, I was awash with envy that she could do something so cool, like make Key Lime Pie! When she shared her recipe with me, I was like, “That’s it? It’s so easy!” She laughed and agreed. I love recipes that make you look like you slaved waaay longer than you actually did.